Kid with PKU moving to Berlin from overseas / Kind mit PKU zieht aus Übersee nach Berlin

• Hi,

First of all, I'm really sorry for posting this in english. I'll let the translation (google translator) to german below.

My name is Ciro, and I'm from Brazil. I received a job offer from a German company and I'm moving with my family to Berlin in June. My youngest daughter was diagnosed with PKU when she was born and started the treatment right away. She is now 5 months old her Phe levels are controlled and she's growing as a health as her older sister.

I know obviously that we should look for a doctor as soon as we arrive in Berlin. But I'd like to know if there's an specific hospital or treatment center for kids with PKU in Berlin.

I would really appreciate any information or piece of advice :)

Thank you so much!

PS: I expect to learn german soon enough to be able to post here in your native language

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hallo,

Zunächst einmal tut es mir wirklich leid, dass ich dies auf Englisch gepostet habe. Ich lasse die Übersetzung (Google-Übersetzer) ins Deutsche unten.

Mein Name ist Ciro und ich komme aus Brasilien. Ich habe ein Jobangebot von einem deutschen Unternehmen erhalten und ziehe im Juni mit meiner Familie nach Berlin. Bei meiner jüngsten Tochter wurde PKU bei ihrer Geburt diagnostiziert und sie begann sofort mit der Behandlung. Sie ist jetzt 5 Monate alt, ihre Phe-Werte sind kontrolliert und sie wächst genauso gesund wie ihre ältere Schwester.

Ich weiß natürlich, dass wir gleich nach unserer Ankunft in Berlin einen Arzt aufsuchen sollten. Aber ich würde gerne wissen, ob es in Berlin ein spezielles Krankenhaus oder Behandlungszentrum für Kinder mit PKU gibt.

Über Infos oder Tipps würde ich mich sehr freuen :)

Ich danke dir sehr!

PS: Ich gehe davon aus, dass ich bald Deutsch lernen werde, um hier in deiner Muttersprache posten zu können

• Hello Ciro,

I'm Niko and responsible for the DIG-PKU Rhein-Main (Frankfurt) region.

But happy go give you an advice about the PKU ambulance in Berlin.

In Berlin the metabolic ambulance is part of the Charité. The page seems only to be available in German:

Kompetenzzentrum Seltene Stoffwechselkrankheiten: Interdisziplinäres Stoffwechsel-Centrum - Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin (stoffwechselcentrum.de)

Hopefully a browser integrated translation option or Google translate will help you.

Wish you all the best for the start in Germany and for your little girl. Feel free to post you questions here. The community is happy to help :)

Best,

Niko

• Hi Ciro,

thank you for your message. My name is Verena I'm a member of the board of DIG PKU.

I'm living in the south west of Germany and I am an adult PKU.

In Germany we have small under groups of DIG PKU in every federal state. The group of Berlin is named Berlin-Brandenburg. The leader of the small group is Anne Bazler you can reach her by mail:

berlin-brandenburg@dig-pku.de

We organize some information meetings, cooking classes to get in touch with other PKU families.

The clinic in Berlin which treat PKU ist the Charieté:

Charité
    Campus Virchow-Klinikum
    Berlin

Interdisziplinäres Stoffwechsel-Centrum
    Erwachsenen-Stoffwechsel-Sprechstunde
    Ostring 3, 2. OG
    D-13353 Berlin

(T) 030-450 553 814
    https://www.stoffwechselcentrum.de

I hope this answer will help you.

If you have further questions don't hesitate to ask!

Best regards

Verena

verena.naunheim@dig-pku.de

• Hi,

Thank you so much Niko and Verena for all the information you’ve shared.

I’ll reach Anne Bazler through email to find out more about the Berlin group and how we can join them as soon as we arrive in Germany.

Once again, thank you so much. It’s really good to know that a group like this exists in Germany.

One of our daughter’s doctor said when we found out she had PKU: “She might be rare, but she’ll never be alone”, and I truly believe that ☺️

———————————————————————

Hallo,

Vielen Dank Niko und Verena für all die Informationen, die Sie geteilt haben.

Ich werde Anne Bazler per E-Mail erreichen, um mehr über die Berliner Gruppe zu erfahren und wie wir uns ihnen anschließen können, sobald wir in Deutschland ankommen.

Nochmals vielen Dank. Es ist wirklich gut zu wissen, dass es so eine Gruppe in Deutschland gibt.

Einer der Ärzte unserer Tochter sagte, als wir herausfanden, dass sie PKU hat: „Sie ist vielleicht selten, aber sie wird niemals allein sein“, und das glaube ich wirklich ☺️